Topographic Maps from US Forest Service or US Geologic Service
A map — one of the ten essentials.
Anyone going to the back country needs a decent map. Most outdoor stores sell 7.5 minute topographic maps (maps with contours). But there are great online resources to download and buy topo maps.
Print Shops in San Diego
CalTopo.com is a great resource for generating Geospatial PDFs. You can center the map at your particular latitude/longitude instead of trying to span multiple quadrangles. Then you get a URL that you can use to download your PDF for printing.
United States Forest Service
The USFS has a site for downloading PDFs of their format called “FSTopo GeoPDFs”. These maps can be viewed any usual PDF reader and printed out.
This example of a GeoPDF shows the following
- The printed output side
- The product generation date
- UTM and latitude/longitude
- Legend, including adjoining quadrangles
- Scale and magnetic delcination are also on these maps
- The GeoPDF file size in MB
United States Geologic Survey
The USGS has a site that is a map locator and download site. You can download 7.5 and 15 minute maps
The USGS Topos have a different features set
- A satellite image is included in the GeoPDF, making the file slightly larger
- If you wish to print with out the satellite, then you have to use a GeoPDF plugin to disable the image layer.